Place:


Piddington  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Piddington like this:

PIDDINGTON, a village and a parish in Hardingstone district, Northamptonshire. The village stands on an affluent of the river Nen, near Salcey forest, 3½ miles E N E of Roade r. station, and 5¼ S E by S of Northampton; and has a post-office under Northampton. The parish contains also the hamlet of Hackleton, and comprises 1, 980 acres. ...


Real property, £4,075. Pop., 1, 102. Houses, 238. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lord Overstone. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the p. curacy of Horton, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is good, and has a lofty spire. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, a national school, and charities £27.

Piddington through time

Piddington is now part of South Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Piddington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Piddington in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8120

Date accessed: 24th June 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Piddington ".