Place:


Overstone  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Overstone like this:

OVERSTONE, a parish in Brixworth district, Northamptonshire; 3¾ miles N by W of Billing-Road r. station, and 4¾ N E of Northampton. Post-town, Northampton. Acres, 1, 940. Real property, £2, 721. Pop., 206. Houses, 46. The manor belonged formerly to the Brownlows; passed to J. ...


Kipling, Esq.; belongs now to Lord Overstone; and gives him his title of Baron. O. House is Lord O.'s seat; is a handsome stone edifice, built after designs by W. M. Teulon; and stands in a fine park. The parish contains the headquarters and the armoury of the Overstone mounted rifles. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £300.* Patron, Lord Overstone. The church is a plain stone structure, in quasi-Gothic style. There is a charity school.

Overstone through time

Overstone is now part of Daventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Daventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Overstone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Overstone, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8113

Date accessed: 17th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Overstone ".