Place:


Orlingbury  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Orlingbury like this:

ORLINGBURY, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Northampton. The village stands 2½ miles S W of Isham and Burton-Latimer r. station, and 4 N W by N of Wellingborough; and has a post-office under Welling-borough. The parish is in Wellingborough district, and comprises 1, 990 acres. Real property, £2, 906. ...


Pop., 307. Houses, 71. The manor, with Orlingbury House, belongs to A. A. Young, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £405.* Patron, the Rev. H. D. Hilton. The church was rebuilt in 1843; and has a large circular E window, and a loftybalustraded and pinnacled tower. There are a dissenting chapel, and a national school; and the latter is a recent edifice, in the modern pointed style. Manning, the Saxon scholar, and one of the authors of the " History of Surrey, " was a native. The hundred contains alsothirteen other parishes. Acres, 28, 188. Pop. in 1851, 6, 436; in 1861, 6, 629. Houses, 1, 486.

Orlingbury through time

Orlingbury is now part of Wellingborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wellingborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Orlingbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Orlingbury, in Wellingborough and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8111

Date accessed: 09th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Orlingbury ".