Place:


Northborough  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Northborough like this:

NORTHBOROUGH, a village and a parish in Peterborough district, Northampton. The village stands 1¼mile S of the river Welland, at the boundary with Lincolnshire, 1½ N W of Peakirk r. station, and 2 S S E of Market-Deeping; and was known to the Saxons as North-burh. The parish comprises 710 acres. ...


Post-town, Market-Deeping. Real property, £1, 879. Pop., 240. Houses, 53. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Hon. G. W. Fitzwilliam and the Dean and Chapter of Peterborough. Northborough Castle belonged formerly to the Claypole family; was the residence and the death-place of Mrs. Claypole, the favourite daughter of Oliver Cromwell; was the death-placealso of Oliver Cromwell's wife; belongs now to the Hon. G. W. Fitzwilliam; and has long been in a decayed condition, and in the occupation of a farmer. The living is.a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £330.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Peterborough. The church is very ancient, partly Norman; has a small belfry; includes a chantry-chapel, containing monuments of the Claypoles and the Cromwells; and was recently indisrepair. There are town-lands yielding £25 a year.

Northborough through time

Northborough is now part of Peterborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Peterborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Northborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Northborough, in Peterborough and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8105

Date accessed: 05th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Northborough ".