Place:


Newbottle  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newbottle like this:

NEWBOTTLE, a village and a parish in Brackley district, Northampton. The village stands 2½ miles E of the river Cherwell at the boundary with Oxford, 2¾ N E of Aynho r. station, and 4 W of Brackley; and has apostal wall-box under Brackley. The parish contains also parts of the hamlets of Astrop, Charlton, and Purston. ...


Acres, 2, 990. Real property, £3, 560. Pop. in 1851, 438; in 1861, 527. Houses, 109. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged formerly to the Tuftons, and belongs now to W.Cartwright, Esq. Charlton Lodge is the seat of S. P. Salisbury, Esq. Anancient camp, called Rainsborough, is on Charlton hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £293.* Patron, W.Cartwright, Esq. The church is good; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a low W tower; and contains a monument to J. Creswell, Esq., and a Norman font. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £7.

Newbottle through time

Newbottle is now part of South Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newbottle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newbottle in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8096

Date accessed: 16th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newbottle ".