Place:


Moulton  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Moulton like this:

MOULTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Brixworth district, Northamptonshire. The village stands 3 miles E of Brampton r. station, and 4 NE by N of Northampton; is a large place; and has a post office under Northampton.—The parish comprises 1,680 acres. Real property, £7,352. ...


Pop. in 1851,1,511; in 1861, 1,840. Houses, 401. The property is subdividedMoulton Grange was formerly the seat of Col. Hatton, and is now the seat of J. Nethercote, Esq. Thorpelands is the seat of J. Beasley, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £400. * Patron, the Rev. T. Walker. The church is partly Norman, all good; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a lofty tower. There are a Baptist chapel, two Wesleyan chapels, a handsome national school in the modern Gothic style, several schools for instructing girls in lacemaking, and charities amounting formerly to £120 a year, but now much diminished.—The sub-district contains also seven other parishes, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 16,891. Pop., 4,890. Houses, 1,069.

Moulton through time

Moulton is now part of Daventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Daventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Moulton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Moulton, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8087

Date accessed: 17th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Moulton ".