Place:


Hinton in the Hedges  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hinton in the Hedges like this:

HINTON-IN-THE-HEDGES, a parish in Brackley district, Northampton; on the Buckinghamshire railway, 2 miles W by N of Brackley r. station. Post town, Bra.kley. Acres, 2, 070. Real property, £2, 462. Pop., 178. Houses, 39. The manor belongs to W.Cartwright, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Stean, in the diocese of Peterborough. ...


Value, £500.* Patron, Earl Spencer. The church is early English; consists of nave, chancel, and N aisle, with low square tower; and contains a remarkable ancient altar tomb, and a very ancient and curiously carved font. There are alms houses with about £38 a year, and a subscriptionschool. Gray, the author of "Memoria Technica, " is said to have been a native.

Hinton in the Hedges through time

Hinton in the Hedges is now part of South Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hinton in the Hedges itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hinton in the Hedges in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8019

Date accessed: 17th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hinton in the Hedges ".