Place:


Canwell  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Canwell like this:

CANWELL, an extra-parochial tract in Tamworth district, Stafford; on the verge of the county, 5 miles SW of Tamworth. Acres, 290. Real property, £681. Pop., 43. Houses, 7. Canwell Hall is the seat of Sir F. Lawley, Bart. A Benedictine priory was founded here in 1142, by Geva, daughter of Hugh Lupus; and given, at the dissolution, to Cardinal Wolsey.

Canwell through time

Canwell is now part of Lichfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lichfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Canwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Canwell, in Lichfield and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7988

Date accessed: 22nd September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Canwell ".