Place:


Woolverstone  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woolverstone like this:

WOOLVERSTONE, a parish in Samford district, Suffolk; on the river Orwell, 4 miles E of Bentley-Junction r. station, and 4½ SSE of Ipswich. It has a postal letter-box under Ipswich. Acres, 1, 256; of which 305 are water. Real property, £2,033. Pop., 239. Houses, 48. The manor, with W. Hall, belongs to J. Berners, Esq. An obelisk, 96 feet high, was erected in 1793, to the memory of W. Berners, Esq. The living is a rectory, annexed to Erwarton. A new chancel to the church was recently erected. There is a national school.

Woolverstone through time

Woolverstone is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Woolverstone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woolverstone, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7974

Date accessed: 23rd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Woolverstone ".