Place:


Gayton  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gayton like this:

GAYTON, a parish in Towcester district, Northampton; on the Grand Junction canal and the Northwestern railway, 2 miles NW of Blisworth r. station, and 4¼ N of Towcester. It includes the hamlet of Banbury-Lane; and its post town is Blisworth, under Northampton. Acres, 1, 711. Real property, £6, 661; of which £2, 794 are in quarries. ...


Pop., 459. Houses, 98. The property is divided among a few. Limestone and ironstone are worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £569.* Patron, Sidney-Sussex College, Cambridge. The church is good; has a tower; and contains an altar-tomb of the 16th century to Francis Tanfield, and some other interesting monuments. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, a national school, eight alms-houses, without endowment, and poor and church lands with £60.

Gayton through time

Gayton is now part of South Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gayton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gayton in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7940

Date accessed: 05th July 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gayton ".