Place:


Blithfield  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Blithfield like this:

BLITHFIELD, a township and a parish in Uttoxeter district, Stafford. The township lies on the river Blithe, 2 miles W by S of Abbots-Bromley, and 3¼ ENE of Colwich r. station. It includes the hamlet of Admarston; and its Post Town is Abbots-Bromley, under Rugeley. Real property, £3,526.—The parish includes also the liberty of Newton. ...


Acres, 3,193. Real property, £5,952. Pop., 338. Houses, 75. The property is divided among a few. Blithfield House is the seat of Lord Bagot; forms a large quadrangle with towers and pinnacles; and contains some interesting portraits. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £388.* Patron, Lord Bagot. The church has monuments and brasses of the Bagots, the Bromptons, and others; and is good. An endowed school has £35, and other charities £35.

Blithfield through time

Blithfield is now part of East Staffordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Staffordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Blithfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blithfield in East Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7888

Date accessed: 23rd April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Blithfield".