Place:


Walberswick  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Walberswick like this:

WALBERSWICK, a parish, with an ancient village, in Blything district, Suffolk; on the coast, 6¾ miles ESE of Halesworth r. station. Post town, Southwold, under Wangford. Acres, 1,960. Real property, £1,746. Pop., 315. Houses, 80. The village was a fishing-town till the Reformation; had 13 barks and 22 fishing-boats in 1451; and was burnt in 1583, 1633, and 1683. ...


The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £60.* Patron, Sir J. R. Blois, Bart. The church is of the 15th century, was originally 124 feet long, and is now but a portion of the old fabric. There are Independent and Primitive Methodist chapels.

Walberswick through time

Walberswick is now part of Suffolk Coastal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Suffolk Coastal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Walberswick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Walberswick in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7839

Date accessed: 16th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Walberswick".