Place:


Ruddington  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ruddington like this:

RUDDINGTON, a parish, with a village, in Basford district, Notts; 3½ miles S E of Beeston r. station, and 4¼ S of Nottingham. It has a post-office‡ under Nottingham. Acres, 2, 190. Real property, £7, 791. Pop. in 1851, 2, 181; in 1861, 2, 283. Houses, 498. The property is much subdivided. ...


The manor belongs to Sir T. G. A. Parkyns. The Grange is the seat ofPaget, Esq. A college was founded here, in the time of Henry VI., by W. Babyngton. Stocking-weaving is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £135.* Patrons, Simeon's Trustees. The church is good. A Norman church, with many old monuments, stood at Flawford, and was taken down in 1773. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, an endowed school with £86 a year, a national school, and charities £20.

Ruddington through time

Ruddington is now part of Rushcliffe district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rushcliffe has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ruddington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ruddington, in Rushcliffe and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7744

Date accessed: 26th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ruddington ".