Place:


Stoke by Clare  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stoke By Clare like this:

STOKE-BY-CLARE, a parish, with a village, in Risbridge district, Suffolk; on the river Stour, and on the Sudbury and Cambridge railway, 2¼ miles WSW of Clare. It has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Sudbury. Acres, 2,361. Real property, £4,375. Pop., 863. Houses, 168. ...


The manor belongs to J. E. Elwes, Esq. S. College was originally a Benedictine priory, founded in the time of the Confessor; became, in 1415, a collegiate church; and is now the seat of Major R. Bird. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ely. Value, £80.* Patron, Mrs. Rush. The church is later English and good. There are a national school, and charities £84. Archbishop Parker was dean of S. college.

Stoke by Clare through time

Stoke By Clare is now part of St Edmundsbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Edmundsbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stoke By Clare itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stoke by Clare, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7707

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stoke By Clare ".