Place:


Crick  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Crick like this:

CRICK, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district of Rugby and county of Northampton. The village stands near Watling-street, adjacent to the Union canal, 2 miles NE of the Kilsby tunnel of the North-western railway, and 6 ½ miles ESE of Rugby; and has a station, 3 miles distant, on the railway, and a post office under Rugby. ...


The parish comprises 3, 930 acres. Real property, £7, 519. Pop., 999. Houses, 236. The property is much subdivided. The surface is traversed by a ridge of hills, forming the watershed between the basin of the Avon and the basins of the Ouse and the Nen. A tunnel of the canal through this ridge, in the vicinity of the village, is 1, 524 yards long. The parish is a meet for the Pytchley hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £890.* Patron, St. John's College, Oxford. The church is good; and there are an Independent chapel, and charities £70. Arch-bishop Land-was rector. -The sub-district contains nine parishes, part of another, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 26, 669. Pop., 4, 962. Houses, 1, 191.

Crick through time

Crick is now part of Daventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Daventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Crick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Crick, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7689

Date accessed: 06th April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Crick ".