Place:


Courteenhall  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Courteenhall like this:

COURTEENHALL, a parish in Hardingstone district, Northamptonshire; adjacent to the Northwestern railway and the Grand Junction canal, 1½ mile NE of Roade r. station, and 5 S of Northampton. Post town, Northampton. Acres, 1, 330. Real property, £2, 349. Pop., 162. Houses, 31. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor, with Courteenhall House, belongs to Sir Charles Wake, Bart. Limestone is found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £275.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, but good; and it contains monuments of the Wakes, and an altar-tomb of Samuel Jones, who died in 1672, and left funds for a school and apprenticing, which now yield £120 a year.

Courteenhall through time

Courteenhall is now part of South Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Courteenhall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Courteenhall in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7680

Date accessed: 20th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Courteenhall ".