Place:


Charwelton  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Charwelton like this:

CHARWELTON, a parish in Daventry district, Northampton; on the verge of the county, at the head of the river Cherwell, 5 miles SSW of Daventry, and 7 WSW of Weedon r. station. Post town, Daventry, Acres, 2, 332. Real property, £4, 242. Pop., 214. Houses, 53. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, 582. Patron, SirKnightley, Bart. The church has two brasses of the 15th century, and a sculptured octagonal font.

Charwelton through time

Charwelton is now part of Daventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Daventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Charwelton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Charwelton, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7651

Date accessed: 18th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Charwelton".