Place:


Byfield  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Byfield like this:

BYFIELD, a parish in Daventry district. Northampton; 6 miles E of Fenny-Compton r. station, and 7½ S W by S of Daventry. It has a post office‡ under Daventry. Acres, 2,760. Real property, £6,683. Pop., 901. Houses, 224. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £917.* Patron, Caius College, Oxford. The church is ancient. There are Independent and Primitive Methodist chapels, and charities £79.

Byfield through time

Byfield is now part of Daventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Daventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Byfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Byfield, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7643

Date accessed: 18th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Byfield".