Place:


Brigstock  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brigstock like this:

BRIGSTOCK, a village and a parish in Thrapston district, Northampton. The village stands on an affluent of the river Nen, near Rockingham forest, 6 miles NNW of Thrapston r. station, and 7½ NE of Kettering. It has a post office‡ under Thrapston, and fairs on 25 April, 4 Sept., and 22 Nov.; and was once a market-town. ...


The parish comprises 5,900 acres. Real property, £8,114. Pop., 1,159. Houses, 266. The property is divided among a few. Brigstock Park belonged formerly to the montagues. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Stanion, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £236. Patron, the Duke of Cleveland. The church is partially Norman, and good; and there are Independent and primitive Methodist chapels, an endowed school with £20 a year, and charities £65.

Brigstock through time

Brigstock is now part of East Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brigstock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brigstock in East Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7622

Date accessed: 02nd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brigstock ".