Place:


Playford  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Playford like this:

PLAYFORD, a parish in Woodbridge district, Suffolk; on an affluent of the river Deben, and on the East Suffolk railway, between Westerfield and Bealings r. stations, 4 miles E N E of Ipswich. Post-town, Ipswich. Acres, 1, 219. Real property, £1, 493. Pop., 275. Houses, 59. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belonged formerly to the Feltons, and belongs now to the Marquis of Bristol. P. Hall is a moated, brick, Tudormansion; was the death-place of the philanthropist Clarkson; and is now the seat of T. Clarkson, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £79.* Patron, the Marquis of Bristol. The church is aflint building, with a tower; and contains a fine brass of1400. The churchyard contains a granite obelisk to thememory of Clarkson.

Playford through time

Playford is now part of Suffolk Coastal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Suffolk Coastal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Playford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Playford in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7601

Date accessed: 04th July 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Playford ".