Place:


Barnwell  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barnwell like this:

BARNWELL-ST.-ANDREW, a village and a parish in Oundle district, Northampton. The village stands adjacent to the Peterborough railway, 2½ miles SSE of Oundle; and has a station, of the name of Barnwell, on the railway, and a post office, of the name of Barnwell-St.-Andrew, under-Oundle. Its name is alleged to be a corruption of "Bairn's well" and is said to have arusen from an old superstitions belief, that some wells in the neighbourhood had a miraculous efficacy to cure the diseases of children. ...


The parish comprises 1,740 acres. Real property, £2,339. Pop., 240. Houses, 50. The property is divided among a few. A castle was erected here, in 1152, by Reginald le Moine, and passed to the family of Montague; and the ruin of it, comprising a quadrangular court, with massive circular towers at the corners, and a grand gateway on the south side, is an interesting specimen of early Norman castellated architecture. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Barnwell-All-Saints, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £303. Patron, the Duke of Buccleuch. The church is early English, and has a tower and spire. An hospital for the poor, founded in the time of James I., has an income of £316; and other charities have £195.

Barnwell through time

Barnwell is now part of East Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barnwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barnwell in East Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7562

Date accessed: 03rd June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barnwell ".