Place:


Aynho  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aynho like this:

AYNHO, a village and a parish in Brackley district, Northampton. The village stands on the Roman Port way, near the Oxford and Birmingham railway, the Oxford canal, and the river Cherwell, 6 miles SE by S of Banbury; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Banbury. It was once a market-town; and it had anciently an hospital, for the accommodation of travellers, founded by the Fitz-Richards in the time of Henry II., and eventually given to Magdalene college, Oxford. ...


A spring, called the Town well, runs from it to the Cherwell; and traces exist at its E end of the Roman Portway. The parish comprises 2,330 acres. Real property, £4,724. Pop., 595. Houses, 131. The property is not much divided. Aynho Park, adjacent to the village, the seat of W.Cartwright, Esq., is a prominent feature, and contains a good collection of pictures. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £500.* Patron, W.Cartwright, Esq. The church was restored in 1864. There are an endowed school with £20 a year, a national school, and charities £179. Robert Wild, a poet and satirist, was rector in the time of the Commonwealth, and ejected from it in 1662. Shakerley Marmion, the dramatist, and Sir Ralph Winwood, the statesman, were natives.

Aynho through time

Aynho is now part of South Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aynho itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aynho in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7545

Date accessed: 18th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aynho ".