Place:


Ashton  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashton like this:

ASHTON, a parish in Potterspury district, Northampton; on the Northwestern railway and the Grand Junction canal, near Salcey forest and the Blisworth tunnel, 1½ mile SSE of Roade r. station, and 7 S of Northampton. Post Town, Roade under Northampton. Acres, 1,290. Real property, £1,787. ...


Pop., 374. Houses, 84. The property is divided among a few. The inhabitants have a right of common in Salcey forest. The living is a rectory in the dio. of Peterborough. Value, £275. Pa tron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good; and there are Baptist and Methodist chapels, and charities £20.

Ashton through time

Ashton is now part of South Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ashton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashton in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7534

Date accessed: 24th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ashton ".