Place:


Martlesham  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Martlesham like this:

MARTLESHAM, a parish, with a village, in Woodbridge district, Suffolk; on the river Deben, 1½ mile SW of Woodbridge r. station. Post town, Woodbridge. Acres, 2,709; of which 150 are water. Real property, £3,089. Pop., 465. Houses, 104. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to F. ...


G. Doughty, Esq. Beacon-Hill House is the seat of J. Newson, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £428.* Patron, F. G. Doughty, Esq. The church is early perpendicular English; consists of nave and chancel, with a tower; was recently reseated; and contains monuments of the Goodwins and the Doughtys.

Martlesham through time

Martlesham is now part of Suffolk Coastal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Suffolk Coastal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Martlesham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Martlesham in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7490

Date accessed: 23rd September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Martlesham ".