Place:


Alderton  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alderton like this:

ALDERTON, a parish in Potterspury district, Northampton; near Watling-street, the Tove river, and the Grand Junction canal, 3¼ miles W of Roade r. station, and 3½ SE of Towcester. Post Town, Towcester. Acres, 910. Real property, £1,292. Pop., 131. Houses, 34. The property is divided among a few. Lace-making is carried on. The living is a rectory, annexed to Grafton Regis, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is modern, and in the perpendicular English style. Charities, £4 and five poors' cottages.

Alderton through time

Alderton is now part of South Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Alderton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alderton in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7482

Date accessed: 25th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Alderton ".