Place:


Hickling  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hickling like this:

HICKLING, a village and a parish in Bingham district, Notts. The village stands on the Dalby brook, near the Grantham canal, the Fosse way, and the boundary with Leicester, 7 miles S of Bingham r. station; and has a post office under Melton-Mowbray. The parish comprises 2, 930 acres. Real property, £4, 778. ...


Pop., 642. Houses, 145. The property is much subdivided. Roman coins have been found; and some evidence exists for supposing that there was a Roman station. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £400.* Patron, Queen-s College, Cambridge. The church is mainly old, but has a new chancel; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains a brass of 1521. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £68.

Hickling through time

Hickling is now part of Rushcliffe district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rushcliffe has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hickling itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hickling, in Rushcliffe and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7452

Date accessed: 22nd January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hickling ".