Place:


Caunton  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Caunton like this:

CAUNTON, a parish in Southwell district, Notts; on an affluent of the river Trent, 5 miles SW of Carlton r. station, and 6 NW by N of Newark. It includes the hamlets of Knapthorpe, Beesthorpe, and Deanhall; and has a post office under Newark. Acres, 3,130. Real property, £3,845. Pop., 596. ...


Houses, 133. The property is divided among a few. Beesthorpe Hall belongs to S. E. Bristowe, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £171. Patron, the Bishop of Ripon. The church is old and has a tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a parochial school.

Caunton through time

Caunton is now part of Newark and Sherwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newark and Sherwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Caunton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Caunton, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7321

Date accessed: 21st June 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Caunton ".