Place:


Beckingham  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Beckingham like this:

BECKINGHAM, a parish in Gainsborough district, Notts; on the Lincoln and Doncaster railway, 2½ miles W by N of Gainsborough. It has a post office under Gainsborough, and a r. station. Acres, 3,010. Real property, £5,727. Pop., 450. Houses, 104. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £110. Patron, the Prebendary of Southwell. The church is good; and there are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and charities £21. Dr. William Howell, the historian, was a native.

Beckingham through time

Beckingham is now part of Bassetlaw district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bassetlaw has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Beckingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Beckingham, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7252

Date accessed: 30th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Beckingham ".