Place:


Mountnessing  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mountnessing like this:

MOUNTNESSING, two villages and a parish in Billericay district, Essex. The villages are Mountnessing and Mountnessing-Street; and they stand on a branch of the river Wid; the former 2 miles S by W of Ingatestone r. station, and 3¾ NE of Brentwood; the latter adjacent to the Great Eastern railway, 1½ mile NW of the former. ...


The parish has a post office under Brentwood, and comprises 4,005 acres. Real property, £7,017. Pop., 844. Houses, 176. The property is divided among a few. Thoby priory here was founded, in 1141, for Augustinian canons, by Michael Capra Roisi; had, at the dissolution, an income estimated at £75; and has left some remains. A mansion bearing the name of Thoby Priory, is the seat ofR. Vickerman, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £117. Patron, Lord Petre. The church comprises nave and two aisles, and was recently in disrepair. There are a school with £30 a year from endowment, and charities £23.

Mountnessing through time

Mountnessing is now part of Brentwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Brentwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mountnessing itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mountnessing, in Brentwood and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7117

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mountnessing ".