Place:


Claydon  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Claydon like this:

CLAYDON, a parish in Bosmere district, Suffolk; on the river Gipping and the Eastern Union railway, 5 miles NNW of Ipswich. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Ipswich. Acres, 950. Real property, £2, 454. Pop., 501. Houses, 122. The working of lime and chalk is extensively carried on. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Akenham, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £549.* Patron, Miss E. Drury. The church is ancient, partly early Norman; and was restored in 1860. There is an Independent chapel. See Bosmere.

Claydon through time

Claydon is now part of Mid Suffolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Suffolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Claydon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Claydon in Mid Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7092

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Claydon ".