Place:


Barrow  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barrow like this:

BARROW, a parish, with a village, in Thingoe district, Suffolk; 1 ½ mile S of Higham r. station, and 6 W of Bury-St.-Edmunds. It has a post office under Bury St.-Edmunds, and a fair on 1 May. Acres, 2,665. Real property, £4,598. Pop., 1,030. Houses, 216. The property is much subdivided. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £690.* Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church was restored in 1852. There is an Independent chapel. A school has an endowed income of £20, and other charities £60. Francis, the translator of Horace, was rector.

Barrow through time

Barrow is now part of St Edmundsbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Edmundsbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barrow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barrow, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7017

Date accessed: 13th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Barrow".