Place:


Wickham Bishops  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wickham Bishops like this:

WICKHAM-BISHOPS, a parish in Witham district, Essex; on the Blackwater river and the Maldon railway, 2½ miles S of Witham. It has a post-office under Witham, and a r. station. Acres, 1,534. Real property, £3,378. Pop., 616. Houses, 138. The property is subdivided. The manor has belonged, from time immemorial, to the Bishops of London; and it once had a palace of theirs. ...


Hill House is the seat of H. Leigh, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £394.* Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The old church is small; and the new church was built in 1852, stands on an eminence, and has a lofty spire. There is a national school.

Wickham Bishops through time

Wickham Bishops is now part of Maldon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Maldon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wickham Bishops itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wickham Bishops, in Maldon and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6973

Date accessed: 25th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wickham Bishops ".