Place:


Great Waltham  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Waltham like this:

WALTHAM (Great), a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Chelmsford district, Essex. The village stands on the river Chelmer, 4¼ miles N of Chelmsford r. station; and has a post-office‡ under Chelmsford. The parish contains also seven hamlets, and comprises 7,335 acres. Real property, £13,533. ...


Pop., 2,380. Houses, 501. The property is much subdivided. W. House and Langleys are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £400.* Patron, Trinity College, Oxford. The church was restored in 1863. The p. curacy of Black-Chapel is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Independents and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £83. -The sub-district contains 7 parishes. Acres, 19,047. Pop., 5,595. Houses, 1,172.

Great Waltham through time

Great Waltham is now part of Chelmsford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chelmsford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Waltham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Waltham, in Chelmsford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6959

Date accessed: 15th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Waltham ".