Place:


Takeley  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Takeley like this:

TAKELEY, a parish, with a village, in Dunmow disTrict, Essex; 4 miles E of Bishop-Stortford r. station It has a post-office under Chelmsford. Acres, 3,154 Real property, £4,710. Pop., 1,000. Houses, 224. The property is subdivided, and there are several manors. An alien priory, a cell to St. Valery abbey in Picardy, was here; and was given, by Edward III., to William of Wykeham's college. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £207.* Patron, the Bishop of R. The church is old but good. There are two parochial schools.

Takeley through time

Takeley is now part of Uttlesford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Uttlesford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Takeley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Takeley, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6925

Date accessed: 25th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Takeley ".