Place:


Sturmer  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sturmer like this:

STURMERE, a parish in the district of Risbridge and county of Essex; on the Cambridge and Colchester railway, 1½ mile SE of Haverhill. It has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Halstead. Acres, 945. Real property, £1,749. Pop., 326. Houses, 70. S. Hall, Abbots Hall, and Woodland Green, are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £240.* Patron, the Rev. Dr. Fletcher. The church is tolerable.

Sturmer through time

Sturmer is now part of Braintree district. Click here for graphs and data of how Braintree has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sturmer itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sturmer, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6923

Date accessed: 26th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sturmer ".