Stock  Essex


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stock like this:

STOCK, a parish in Chelmsford district, Essex; 2½ miles E of Ingatestone r. station. It has a post-office under Chelmsford. Acres, 1,849. Real property, £7,376. Pop., 657. Houses, 144. The property is much sub-divided. Stock bricks take their name from this parish. The living is a rectory, united with Ramsdon-Bellhouse, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £685.* Patron, the Rev. E. J. Edison. The church was partly repaired, partly rebuilt, in 1847. There are an Independent chapel, alms houses with £14 a year, and charities £5.

Stock through time

Stock is now part of Chelmsford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chelmsford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stock, in Chelmsford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 03rd December 2021

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stock ".