Place:


Stanstead Mountfitchet  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stanstead Mountfitchet like this:

STANSTEAD-MOUNTFITCHET, a village and a parish in the district of Bishop-Stortford and county of Essex. The village stands on the river Stort, and the London and Cambridge railway, 2¾ miles NE of Bishop-Stortford; consists of two streets; and has a post-office.‡ under Bishop-Stortford, a r. ...


station, a literary institution and reading room, and a fair on 1 May. The parish includes the hamlet of Bentfield, and comprises 4,193 acres. Real property, £8,990. Pop., 1,769. Houses, 381. The manors of S. and Burnell, with S. Hall, belong to W. F. Maitland, Esq.; and that of Bentfield, to R. Gosling, Esq. A castle was built here by W. G. Montfitchet, and is now represented by only a mound. A Benedictine priory was founded at Thremhall, about 1258, by R. Montfitchet; and has left some vestiges. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £306.* Patron, W. F. Maitland, Esq. The church was built in 1692, and the chancel was partly restored in 1861. An Independent chapel, in the Lombardo-Venetian style, was built in 1865. There are also a Quakers' chapel and a parochial school.

Stanstead Mountfitchet through time

Stanstead Mountfitchet is now part of Uttlesford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Uttlesford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stanstead Mountfitchet itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanstead Mountfitchet, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6911

Date accessed: 24th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stanstead Mountfitchet ".