Place:


Sandon  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sandon like this:

SANDON, a parish, with a village, in Chelmsford district, Essex; on an affluent of the Chelmer, 3 miles S E of Chelmsford r. station. Post-town, Chelmsford. Acres, 2, 278. Real property, £3, 989. Pop., 512. Houses, 114. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to G. B. M. Lovibond, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £707.* Patron, Queen's College, Cambridge. The church is good. There are a national school, and charities £23. Dr. Walton, editor of the polyglot bible and afterwards Bishop of Chester, was rector.

Sandon through time

Sandon is now part of Chelmsford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chelmsford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sandon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sandon, in Chelmsford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6894

Date accessed: 20th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sandon ".