Place:


Mathri  Pembrokeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mathri like this:

MATHRY, a village and a parish in Haverfordwest district, Pembroke. The village stands near the coast, 6 miles SW of Fishguard, and 12 NNW of Haverfordwest r. station; suffered devastation by the Danes; was once a market-town; and has a post office under Haverfordwest, and a fair on 10 Oct. The parish contains also the Villages of Abercastle and Castlemorris. ...


Acres, 6,992. Real property, £4,903. Pop. in 1851,1,052; in 1861, 976. Houses, 194. Mathry House is the seat of the Harrises. A residence of the Bishops of St. David's was on Longhouse farm; and a cromlech, with a capstone 16 feet long, and 4 supporting stones 5½ feet high, is on that farm. A small harbour is at Abercastle. Slate is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £316. * Patron, the Bishop of St. David,s.

Mathri through time

Mathri is now part of Pembrokeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Pembrokeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mathri itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mathri in Pembrokeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6762

Date accessed: 16th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Mathri".