Place:


Great Hallingbury  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Hallingbury like this:

HALLINGBURY (GREAT), or HALLINGBURY MORLEY, a village and a parish in the district of BishopStortford and county of Essex. The village stands near the river Stort, the Great Eastern railway, and the boundary with Herts, 2 miles SE of Bishop Stortford; and has a fair on Whit Tuesday. The parish comprises 2, 651 acres. ...


Post town, Bishop Stortford. Real property, £, 550. Pop., 675. Houses, 138. The property is divided among a few. The manor was known, by its present name, prior to the time of Edward the Confessor, and belonged to the Morleys, the Lovels, the Parkers, and the Turners. Hallingbury Place is the seat of J. A. Houblon, Esq. A Roman camp, hexagonal, doubleditched, and occupying 36 acres, was at Walbury, on the Stort. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £796. Patron, J. A. Houblon, Esq. The church comprises nave and chancel, with a tower; is very good; and contains ancient monuments of the Duchess of Suffolk and the Parkers. There is a national school.

Great Hallingbury through time

Great Hallingbury is now part of Uttlesford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Uttlesford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Hallingbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Hallingbury, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6724

Date accessed: 25th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Hallingbury ".