Place:


Hadstock  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hadstock like this:

HADSTOCK, a village and a parish in the district of Linton and county of Essex. The village stands near the boundary with Cambridgeshire, 1 mile S of Linton r. station, and 4 ENE of Chesterford; was once a market town; and still has a fair on 28 June. The parish comprises 1,870 acres; and its post town is Linton, under Cambridge. ...


Real property, £2, 714. Pop., 511. Houses, 112. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to S. Malthus, Esq: Traces have been seen of a Roman villa. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £267.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is Norman and cruciform; has a tower; and was recently in disrepair. A well set round with stones, and called St. Botolph's well, is in the churchyard. There is a free school.

Hadstock through time

Hadstock is now part of Uttlesford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Uttlesford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hadstock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hadstock, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6723

Date accessed: 09th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hadstock ".