Place:


Finchingfield  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Finchingfield like this:

FINCHINGFIELD, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Braintree district, Essex. The village stands on an affluent of the river Pant, 5 miles ENE of Thaxted, and 6½ SW of Yeldham r. station; and has a post office under Braintree. The parish comprises 8, 387 acres. Real property, £14, 455. ...


Pop., 2, 441. Houses, 531. The property is much subdivided. The manor was held, in the reign of Edward III., by John de Compes, for the service of turning the spit at his coronation. A few acres are under hops. The straw-plait trade has employed many of the inhabitants, but recently underwent depresssion. The parish is a meet for the East Essex hounds. Both the head living and another living called St. John's are vicarages in the diocese of Rochester. Value of the former, £733;* of the latter, £200.* Patron of the former, the Rev. J. Stock; of the latter, the Bishop of Rochester. The churches of both are good; and there are an Independent chapel, and charities £111.—The sub-district contains four parishes. Acres, 16, 706. Pop., 5, 289. Houses, 1, 168.

Finchingfield through time

Finchingfield is now part of Braintree district. Click here for graphs and data of how Braintree has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Finchingfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Finchingfield, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6708

Date accessed: 27th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Finchingfield ".