Place:


Felsted  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Felsted like this:

FELSTEAD, a village and a parish in Dunmow district, Essex. The village stands near the river Chelmer, and near the Braintree railway, 3½ miles ESE of Dunmow; and has a st. on the railway, and a post office‡ under Chelmsford. The parish comprises 6, 247 acres. Real property, £10, 784. ...


Pop., 1,804. Houses, 401. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £500.* Patron, Earl Cowley. The church is partly Saxon, has a tower, and needs restoration. There is an Independent chapel. A free grammar school for boys, natives of Essex, is here; has an income of upwards of £2, 000 from funds left by Lord Rich in 1554; and, since a settlement in chancery in 1852, has been under the control of a board of trustees.

Felsted through time

Felsted is now part of Uttlesford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Uttlesford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Felsted itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Felsted, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6707

Date accessed: 12th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Felsted ".