Place:


Llanystumdwy  Caernarvonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanystumdwy like this:

LLANYSTYMDWY, a village and a parish in Pwllheli district, Carnarvon. The village stands on the river Dwy, near the coast, 2 miles WN W of Criccieth r. station, and 8 ENE of Pwllheli; and has a post office under Pwllheli. The parish comprises 6,522 acres of land, and 258 of water. Real property, £4,956. ...


Pop., 1,126Houses, 236. The property is divided among a few. Plas Hen belonged, in the time of King John, to Howelly-Vwyall; and belongs now to the Mostyns. Gwynvryn is the seat of Major Nanney; Trefan is the seat of S. O. Priestley, Esq.; and Plashen belongs to J. E. Nanney, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £485.* Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church was rebuilt in 1863. There are chapels for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists, and an endowed school with £31 a year.

Llanystumdwy through time

Llanystumdwy is now part of Gwynedd district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gwynedd has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanystumdwy itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanystumdwy, in Gwynedd and Caernarvonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6677

Date accessed: 17th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanystumdwy ".