Place:


Cann Hall  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cann Hall like this:

CANN-HALL, a locality adjacent to Epping forest, Essex; ½ a mile N by W of Forest Gate r. station, and 5¼ NE of St. Paul's, London. It has a post office under Leytonstone, London N. E.

The Civil Parish in this area between Stratford and Leytontone was named after the old estate and manor of Cann Hall. The ecclesiastial parish was named after Wanstead Slip, which had been a spur of the parish of Wanstead running south-west to the river Lea ('Wanstead: Introduction', A History of the County of Essex: Vol.6 (1973), pp.317-322; http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=42785, accessed 5/6/2011). The parish church of St. Augusta was in Ravenstone Road, but both the church and the road were erased in the 1950s following bomb damage in the 1940s ('Leyton: Churches', A History of the County of Essex: Vol. 6 (1973), pp. 214-223; http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=42772, accessed 5/6/2011).

Cann Hall through time

Cann Hall is now part of Waltham Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how Waltham Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cann Hall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cann Hall, in Waltham Forest and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6573

Date accessed: 27th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cann Hall ".