Place:


Birchanger  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Birchanger like this:

BIRCHANGER, a parish in the district of Bishops-Stortford, and county of Essex; on the Eastern Counties railway, 2 miles NE of Bishops-Stortford. Post Town, Bishops-Stortford. Acres, 1,051. Real property, £2,050. Pop., 358. Houses, 86. The property is divided among a few. An hospital was founded here, by Richard de Newport, in the time of King John. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £218.* Patron, New College, Oxford. The church is good.

Birchanger through time

Birchanger is now part of Uttlesford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Uttlesford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Birchanger itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Birchanger, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6542

Date accessed: 25th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Birchanger ".