Place:


Barnston  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barnston like this:

BARNSTON, or Birnston, a parish in Dunmow district, Essex; on the river Chelmer, 2 miles SE of Dunmow r. station, and 7½ WSW of Braintree. It has a post office under Chelmsford. Acres, 1,442. Real property, £2,415. Pop., 192. Houses, 40. The property is divided among a few. Barnston Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £335.* Patron, the Rev. W. Toke. The church is Norman.

Barnston through time

Barnston is now part of Uttlesford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Uttlesford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barnston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barnston, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6530

Date accessed: 20th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barnston ".