Place:


Little Baddow  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Baddow like this:

BADDOW (Little), a village and a parish in Chelmsford district, Essex. The village stands on a tributary of the Chelmer river, 2 miles S of the Eastern Counties rail way, and 4 miles E by N of Chelmsford; and has a post office under Chelmsford. The parish includes also the hamlet of Middlemead. ...


Acres, 2,779. Real property, £3,246. Pop., 605. Houses, 131. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £490.* Patron, Lord Rayleigh. The church is good; and contains a costly and splendid monument to the memory of Sir Henry Mildmay, Bart., who died in 1639. There is an Independent chapel. Free schools here and at Boreham, founded in 1817 by Edward Butler, Esq., have an income of £200.

Little Baddow through time

Little Baddow is now part of Chelmsford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chelmsford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Little Baddow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Baddow, in Chelmsford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6525

Date accessed: 15th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Little Baddow ".