Place:


Worth  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Worth like this:

WORTH, or Word, a parish, with a small village and two hamlets, in Eastry district, Kent; on the coast, 1½ mile SSE of Sandwich r. station. It has a post-office under Sandwich. Acres, 7,431; of which 1,285 are water. Real property, £7,753. Pop., 430. Houses, 87. The property is much subdivided. Upton house is the seat of J. Henderson, Esq. There are two coastguard stations. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £375.* Patron, the Archbishop. The church is ancient but good.

Worth through time

Worth is now part of Dover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Worth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Worth, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6501

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Worth ".