Place:


Stonar  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stonar like this:

STONAR, a quondam town and a parish in Thanet district, Kent. The town stood on the river Stonr, 1 mile NNE of Sandwich; is supposed to have been the Lapis Titnli of the Romans; was the place of Louis the Dauphin's debarkation in 1216, and of Edward III.'s embarkation in 1359; was destroyed by the French in 1385; figured as a member of Sandwich in 1773; and is now represented by only a farm house. ...


The parish comprises 670 acres. Post town, Sandwich. Real property, £1,546. Pop., 42. Houses, 8. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, not reported. Patron, the Crown, by lapse. There is no church.

Stonar through time

Stonar is now part of Dover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stonar itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stonar, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6418

Date accessed: 06th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stonar ".